Chick with swollen contracting bottom.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Waddell85, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Waddell85

Waddell85 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2011
    I'm new to this chicken thing but we have had our chicks for about 5-6 weeks. We got them at the hardware store and they called them straight runs? Anyways I have no idea how old they really are but they were still fuzzy when we got them and they are now fully feathered. There is one in particular that we thought was a roo because he is much bigger than the others and has a comb and wattles and a little more aggressive. I've noticed the last couple days tho that his bottom is very swollen and contracting. He lays around a lot and seems like he is panting? We caught him today and on the bottom of the swollen area it's getting bald and pretty red. Could our he be a she getting ready to lay or egg bound or is something else going on??? Help please!

2. quesodano

quesodano Out Of The Brooder

ANy other Symptoms?>>> Diarrhea? Color of poop? Any Nasal Discharge? FLuffy feathers? Listless? Shivering?

Have You Isolated it?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  3. MiddleChild

MiddleChild Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Eastern Massachusetts
  4. Waddell85

Oct 15, 2011
    No other symptoms that I notice. I haven't isolated, do I need to?

5. Waddell85

Oct 15, 2011
    The link isn't working

6. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Is it pooping?

7. Waddell85

Oct 15, 2011
    I would say yes but I honestly don't know. We have 14 other chicks. But when we caught him/her today there was poop on the swollen part. Like fresh poop. So he either laid in it or had just pooped. His feathers just do not look the same as the other chicks. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow [​IMG]

8. Waddell85

Oct 15, 2011
    The bottom is constantly contracting

9. mshuey1

mshuey1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    San Antonio
    Quote:If you can isolate the chick and put some bag balm on it's bottom and see if that helps. To if you isolate the chick then you can tell if it's eating, drinking etc. Also make sure to ck it's poop since it's the only one it should be easy to tell if it's normal or not. I hope this helps.

10. SaraFL

SaraFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Straight run means they could be male or female, they are not sexed. (Just FYI)

Maybe you could post a few pics, to let the more experienced gauge the age of the bird, and maybe of its bottom?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by