Chick with Swollen Eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicklover56, Jun 21, 2016.

1. chicklover56

chicklover56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2015
    Kansas
    My New Hampshire Red chick has swollen eyes. They are red and swollen. She did not wake up by herself this morning, I had to get her up because she wouldn't open her eyes. She is eating and drinking, but is having a hard time keeping her eyes open and is sleeping a lot. She is a runt, much smaller than her sister. I got them from TSC.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Have you added any new birds recently that might have been a carrier for mycoplasma or coryza, both respiratory diseases? Has she been pecked or stung around the eyes? Do you see foam or bubbles in either eye? Dust, mold, and ammonia odors can be irritating to eyes. If there is foamy eyes, nasal drainage, sneezing, or other respiratory signs, you may want to start some Tylan or Oxytetracycline in her water. Tylan 50 injectable can also be given orally twice a day for 5 days. I can give you dosage if you know her weight.

3. chicken danz

chicken danz Overrun With Chickens

May 20, 2010
    Waverly

Have you treated them for mites. It looks tome like she may have some mite activity around her eyes.

4. chicklover56

Jun 1, 2015
    Kansas

5. chicklover56

Jun 1, 2015
    Kansas
    No. What would you suggest treating them with?

6. chicken danz

May 20, 2010
    Waverly
    There are several things you can use. I use pemethrin II and make a dip that can be sprayed on the chickens or dip them in it up to about their wings. You should treat all of them and spray their coop though, not just one. You can use sevin on them but it's kind of a brathing hazard if you get too wild with the dust. You can use ivermectin pour on and drop a few drops on the back of their necks. At any rate you should treat all birds and their coop and do it again in 7-10 days

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I am not seeing any signs of mites, but I would check her and some of the others for any mites or lice and their eggs. Here are some links for what to look for:
    http://anrcatalog.ucanr.edu/pdf/8162.pdf
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html

She looks possibly like she was pecked around the eyes to me, and since she has no other symptoms, I would hold off giving her antibiotics. Look out for eye drainage or gunk, and if she develops those or other symptoms, post again. Since her eyes are swollen and she may be pecked more, I would cage her for a couple of days, with food and water, and keep her in sight of the other chickens.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  8. chicken danz

May 20, 2010
    Waverly
    You can try bathing her in luke warm water. If she has mites or lice you will probably see them moving. I do believe I see some indication on her eyes though. For eye infections without other congestion issues simply use triple antibiotic ointment in the eyes without the pain killer. This came directly from my pharmacist brother in law. It works quite well. I would certainly rule out the mites theory first though. They can be extremely prevalent in the wet weather we were having earlier this year.

9. chicklover56

Jun 1, 2015
    Kansas
    I actually did look closely the other day and saw some mites on other chicks. I have the Permetherin ordered and it is already on its way.

Thank you so much for your help. She is doing a lot better.

10. chicken danz

May 20, 2010
    Waverly
    I'm so glad. I need to dip all my own chickens. I just have been so busy I haven't gotten it done yet. Did you find some hatching eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by