chick with swollen head? update she's eating!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by klf73, Aug 27, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I just assisted a chick that was stuck. I wasn't sure at first, but now I think it's head is swollen. When it opens it's eyes it looks like someone gave it a facelift, eyes being pulled back. Is there anything I can do for this chick or is it a lost cause?
    thanks
    Krista

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  2. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    Did it just hatch? I have no experience with this...except to say that I would definitely keep watch for a day or two before making any radical decisions on what to do.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I think you should post a pic before you make a decision !!!

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    k, will do, if my 9 mo ever decides to o to sleep [​IMG]

5. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I had a chick hatch a few months ago that I determined was hydrocephalic. Head swollen, eyes looked strange like you are describing, and she had parkinsons like shaking. Somewhere on here there is a thread with the suggstions I was given. I know just a bunch of vitamins and such. Anyway, within a few days she was fine. Now, you would never have a clue. [​IMG]

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    well I took a pic and then the camera died [​IMG] and it's dh's camera and I have no idea where he keeps his cord. It seems a little better, not great. It was laying on it's back then side and couldn't right itself, so it went to sleep on it's side. It eventually righted itself and seems to be getting a little better at not flipping onto it's back. The neck seems stiff, I tried to drip a little bit of a electrolyte/vitamin water but it had a hard time tilting it's head back so I will try tomorrow, don't want to drown it. I am going to hope it's just from being stuck in the egg so long. [​IMG]
    Krista

7. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I had a chick a few weeks ago that had a stiff neck like that, it died a week later from other complications - but I gave it neck massages along with the vitamins and that part worked itself out. Unfortunately he was also blind, had a club foot and couln't swallow correctly.

He really liked the neck massages though.

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I'm not holding much hope. If it does manage to right itself it goes in circles, counter clockwise, it never walks straight. Also it spends a lot of time on it's side when it can't right itself........you guessed it.....doing circles. Right now it looks like it is sun tanning [​IMG] Should I put water on it's beak? The last one I hatched that had issues only stayed alive cuz I force hydrated it, and started pulling away at day 3 and wouldn't eat so instead of having him starve, dh culled. I just feel like I'm prolonging the inevitable [​IMG] suggestions?
    Krista

9. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    This is just what I would do, I would give him/her another day or 2, and then if the chick still isen't getting better or gets worse the have the hubby cull. I would rather know that I tried and gave it a chance than to cull it to early (that would bother me for days)..... Somtimes things get better.

10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Dh and I agree to give them their best shot, so we don't cull anything(exception was open skull) until day 3. If they are not eating and drinking by then, then there really is no hope [​IMG]

Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by