chick with swollen ? Help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by peepcrazy, Apr 7, 2009.

1. peepcrazy

peepcrazy New Egg

Apr 7, 2009
    PCNW
    I am new too raising chicks but my baby sex link has had a rough go of it. last night I put her too sleep and I noticed her gullet full but this morning it is swollen clear up too her head ! I'm like in panick, is this right and if not what can I do ?

2. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Hi peepcrazy. I'm going to ask for a little more info about your little black sex-link (BSL) - maybe someone who knows more than me will see this and give you more advice.

1. How old is the chick?

2. Is she sitting still and not walking around, or does she seem to be eating and drinking normally?

3. What food are your chicks eating?

3. peepcrazy

peepcrazy New Egg

Apr 7, 2009
    PCNW
    Quote:Chick starter

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Can you get a picture to post? That would help greatly. Does the swelling feel lik air, or squishy, or hard? Does it seem to be affecting her breathing/is she making odd noises when she breaths?

5. peepcrazy

peepcrazy New Egg

Apr 7, 2009
    PCNW
    Quote:Ok I'm new too this type of forum so i tried this

[​IMG]

Let me know if it works,

And yes it is squishy and she is chirpin, but it don't seem too affect her breathing
    And I forgot too tell you On sunday I found her near dead in the box, the other peep sat on her and she was bout gone so I got her under the heat lamp and kinda did mouth too beak. I know where there nose is. My kids were shocked that she awoke. Diying on Sun is not allowed. She has been fine since them. Alert , vibrant the works till this. I can't figure it out

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  6. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Thanks for the photo - you did a great job uploading it. Sounds like she is chirping and you have a heat source for them, which is good. If she is still vibrant and running around eating and drinking and pooping, it may be she has just a really full crop. It should go down by itself in a few hours. You might try putting a little bit of Apple Cider Vinegar in their water - 1 tsp in a quart waterer. This will help aid their digestion.

7. peepcrazy

peepcrazy New Egg

Apr 7, 2009
    PCNW
    I use ACV in the coop and with us but I didn't know too use it on them. She is under my neck with a heating pad on very low. I'm waiting for her too poop but nothing. 2 hrs now. Can you tell I'm peep nutz ? I thank you so much for help.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by