Chick with Swollen Neck..what to do??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lach Cnoc Farm, May 8, 2009.

1. Lach Cnoc Farm

Lach Cnoc Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Western Washington
    I had a leghorn X chick hatch yesterday, actually i had to hatch him because he was stuck in the same spot for a day and a half. He was starting to stuck to the egg.

Since he's been out he's had a Very swollen neck, I cant really tell if it's went down any since hes hatched but he's been stuck in the bator because he's not quite as active as the other 3 babies that hatched with him. his head is too heavy for him most the time.

is there anything i can do to help the swelling? what could have possibly caused this?

thanks everyone, he seems healthy besides the swollen neck...
    He's the green chick...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  2. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Why is he green?

Could the injection have gone into his neck?

I don't know what you oculd do at this point, other than wait and see.

Has it dried yet?

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  3. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Give him time- he may have edema from being in a funny position in his egg, it may go down. If by the time he needs to start eating and drinking to survive- (day 3), he is not relatively normal- you can make the decision to help him eat and drink to give him more time, or cull him. I have seen edematous head chicks get better in 24-48 hours.

4. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    One of my babies was the same way,it took a few days but she was finally able to hold her head up right...she is now a week old and you cant tell any difference from her and the others.

5. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Are these dyed in the shell chicks as some sort of fun? If these are a group of chicks that have had dye injected into the air sac during incubation as a weird science experiment (I have read about this and think it is a bit disturbing), it may be related to that process. If several of the chicks are born like this (I see many unhatched eggs), or you have a poor hatch in general- I would suggest it might be due to reaction to the dye or another part of the process.

6. Lach Cnoc Farm

Lach Cnoc Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Western Washington
    He was dyed, but it was not injected into the air sac, that would have killed him before he ever hatched. the dye was all natural veggie based. the others turned out fine, except one of the bantams drown after pipping.

He was in a VERY weird position when i took him out of the egg. He never dried, His neck felt harder, more swollen this morning. He passed away about an hour ago.

This is the first time i've seen this happen to a chick. Considering his awkward position, Could he have been to big for the egg?

someone else said it's cause by them trying to peck out but not being able to because they're 'stuck' or in a weird position.

Thanks everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by