Chick with swollen stomach and little muscle growth

Elemes

Songster
Jul 26, 2016
WV
My Coop
My Coop
I've searched for clue here but haven't turned up anything.
I have an almost 4 month old chick who struggles with normal chick behavior, like walking, holding the head upright, tail upright, and scratching.
The stomach (lower belly between legs) is distended and not soft to the touch. She has a normal feeling crop, no visible signs of other kinds. She is passing excretions normally (though somewhat small) and has a healthy appetite and thirst. She simply cannot keep up with her siblings hatched at the same time.
Her hips and legs are very pronounced, in that there seems to be no muscle forming on this chicken at all. She is obviously weak but doesn't demonstrate other signs of illness/injury. She can grasp with both legs and toes.

Does anyone have any ideas here? I am stumped and guessing at kidney issues.

Does her belly feel tight like a drum, as if there is fluid inside the abdominal cavity? Ascites or water belly can be common with heart failure, liver disease, and also from egg yolk peritonitis in older hens. She may just have immunity problems or failure to thrive. About all you can do is to try and boost her immunity with probiotics (plain cultured yogurt is good,) give her some poultry vitamins, and make sure that she is taking her grower or flock raiser feed. Add some protein by offering some chopped egg, tuna, or liver. Have her droppings tested for coccidiosis and worms through a local vet. Give us an update about her.

Yes her stomach feels bloated. She drank probiotic water (about 4 oz) today. She's been getting me worm supplementation. She doesn't like my yogurt so I'll pick some more up tomorrow.
Thank you.

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm not sure if you would like to get a necropsy done by your state vet to try and identify the cause of her illness, but if you refrigerate the body in a plastic bag, you can contact the dept. of agriculture to send or take her in on Monday.

Back
Top Bottom