chick with swollen throat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lunarfound, May 24, 2010.

1. lunarfound

lunarfound Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    Tacoma
    I have an americauna chick that I got a week after Easter. She was fine up until a few days ago and then she started to get droopy. She hardly eats or drinks and when I open the coop she comes out with the rest but then just stands around sleeping. Yesterday she was putting her head under her wing. Today I noticed a large bubble like thing that feels full of fluid at the base of her neck. She does not stretch her neck out at all. Any Ideas?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:If the large bubble thing is on the right side it is perfectly normal. That is the crop, should be at the base of the neck. That is where they store food.

As far as the not eating/sleepiness. Sorry I have no idea. If you are sure she is sick. I think doing anything is preferable to nothing. Start with seperating her and keeping her in a warm, dark, calm place.

Good luck
    Imp

3. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    How old is she. Can you post a picture. Give her some vitamines until you can figure out what is going on.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  4. lunarfound

lunarfound Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    Tacoma
    OK. I think it is a sour crop. I am trying the remedies for that. I held her gently upside down and she threw up a bunch of white mucus stuff that smelled almost as bad as her poo. I am keeping her off of solid food and gave her fresh water and bread soaked in olive oil. I separated her from the others in a warm spot. My fingers are crossed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by