Chick with tumor

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gasparino1, Jun 19, 2010.

1. gasparino1

gasparino1 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2010
    Knoxville, TN
    I noticed today that my two week old Blue Andalusian chick had a large deformity on her breast. It appears to be a fatty tumor of some sort. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? It is quite large, and I don't suppose there is anything I can do about it; but it is alarming. It seems healthy and active otherwise, eating and drinking well. [​IMG]

2. ICallMyselfCherie'

ICallMyselfCherie' Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, I don't know about that . . . it was up on the breast though, not beneith the ribcage? I just started raising chicks about a month and a half ago, and I found a hard lump in the abdomen of our first chick. I was worried about it, but after we got several more chicks all of them had the same thing, and have been growing just fine for several weeks. It kind of seems like another crop or something just down in the abdomen, so I presume it's just something normal in the digestive system. Up on the breast though . . . I don't know. It doesn't sound too great, but hopefully somebody with more experience will be able to tell you. Good luck!!

3. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Its probably her crop; she has probably had a nice big tasty meal and now she's full. When we stuff ourselves, we fill our stomachs; when they stuff themselves, they fill their crop.

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Yep, I agree. Is it possible to post a picture for us to see just to be sure?

5. Chicks&Chihuahuas

Chicks&Chihuahuas Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    I had the same issue with one of my chicks that hatched last Monday. Here is the thread I posted, and it has a pic of her. Is this what yours looks like? Mine died yesterday. I have 2 others with constant diarrhea that are going to the vet in the morning. I have the one that died in the freezer so I can take her to the vet and see if they can tell me what happened. I want to know what I'm dealing with if I see it again.

Good Luck!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4387972#p4387972

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by