Chick with turned head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redhen689, Jul 8, 2011.

1. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    I purchase a few day-old chicks to be raised by my 2 broody hens about 2 weeks ago.
    The chick in question is a Buckeye breed, aprox 2 weeks old,
    Yesterday I noticed that when she was walking around she had her neck/head twisted/turned to the side, as if she was looking up with one eye and down with the other.

The other hens and chicks all appear fine.
    I did watch her drink and eat today.
    She is growing a little more slowly than the other chicks.

They free range in the yard.

Last weekend. She's the chick with the darker head, all the way to the right, and seemed fine to me at that time:
    [​IMG]

I looked at the links for diagnosing disease, and it's hard to say what might be.

I just went out to check on things. This is the first night the hens have gotten the chicks to go up into the loft, all except her, she was hiding down below, and so I picked her up and brought her in for a few photos. I think she passed some watery stool onto the paper towel I rested her on. After a few photos she took flight and flew off the counter. I put her back out with the rest. She was peeping loudly, but settled in under "mom" just fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now since I am pretty sure she has watery stool, it gives another clue in the diagnosis. I am thinking now that I should have isolated her. It is very difficult to access the area where they sleep, and mother hen is not very friendly at this point in time, so I'm not even sure I can get to her.

Does anyone have any ideas, I'm getting worried.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Are you feeding them chick starter mix? They can't live on free range at that age. So I'm thinking 1) they're malnourished or vitamin defincient (may require extra B supplement even if they're on starter mix), 2) wry neck, same (I think it's a supplement issue), 3) Newcastles (naaaah) symptoms would be a lot worse. [​IMG]

3. redhen689

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    Yes, they always have access to chick starter, but the broody hens have them eating all types of bugs and berries and greens as well. The other chicks I bought are doing fine.

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I've read everything from head injury to ear infection to crimped neck to vitamin definiciency. Here's one with a picture on page 2 that looks just like yours. I hesitated because it didn't show the exact outcome for this particular chick but the concensus was to use a couple drops of the liquid baby supplement Poly-Vi-Sol every day. Make sure you get the one without the Iron. They have it at Walmart, Vons, etc. This problem may work itself out so the vitamins won't hurt. But it seems for the various different neck problems this was the first plan of attack. I think there are probably some success stories in the wry neck category with this too if I'm not mistaken. I think of all the different ways the head could tilt yours is probably the best prognosis. In some cases (more like paralysis) I saw a funny thread where a guy used a piece of pipe insulation as a neck brace! So get the vitamins and go from there! He looks like a vigorous little thing to me.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=146893&p=1

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I had two quail that had wry neck I separated them from the covey & put them together in an air conditioned building. I added chick starter & ACV to their water for a week & returned them to the covey & they are fine. I think that getting them away from the heat & the others helped relieve some stress .

6. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    A tilted head can be caused by a Vitamin A deficiency. You could take her to the vet for a one off shot of it or try feeding more Vitamin A rich foods like liver, sweet potatoes, carrot, mangoes, spinach, cantaloupe (rock melon), apricots, milk, egg yolks, cheese etc

Individual birds may not absorb vitamins as well as others, which could explain why only one is affected. Or it could just be that the other deficiency is not 'that bad' yet and they will soon follow.

Good luck with her/him

7. redhen689

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    Thanks,
    When I checked on her this morning, she seemed about the same. She was eating the starter crumbles with the others.
    I brought some watermelon rind out, the 2 hens and 3 other chicks all pecked at it but, she just stood back. When one of the hens clucks she comes running, but I'm not sure she's always finding the food they are trying to call them for.

I didn't get out to the store yet, but desolved one of my vitamins (w/o iron) in some water and added that to their water this morning.
    I plan to go out to the feed store this morning to buy some oyster shells, some more feed, and see what they have for suppliments.
    I also want to get a couple more waterers, so I can switch them out daily a little more easily.

I am thinking about mixing some yogurt in with some of their food to give it a little boost.We'll see how this all turns out.

You all have given me some hope. I was worried!

8. redhen689

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    The feed store had several products. I bought one called Sav-A-Chick. It contains electrolytes, Vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12, C, D3, E, and K.
    We will see. I have seen the chick eating the starter crumbles, but she didn't touch the other things I've tried to tempt her with. At least I know she is eating and drinking something!

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Put the Sav-A-Chick in the water for them that way she'll get what she needs, you can also dribble some along her beak where her mouth opens so your sure she's getting some.

10. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:That's what I used along with ACV. My quails neck was so bent he was starring at sky. About 4 or 5 days in confinement he was perfect. To think I almost culled him. Good Luck & let us know something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by