Chick with twisted leg

smproud

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 7, 2013
About a month ago I had some chicks hatch. One of them had curled toes and I tried to fix it by making a sandal. This didn't help and now the chick's leg is twisted and she hobbles when she walks. Is there anyway to fix this or is she going to be like this forever? Can she live like this should I consider euthanizing?

This might be Mareks Disease. If the chick passes away, you should consider a necropsy. Give your chicks vitamins. Any chance it got injured?

I don't think it got injured. It was the last chick to hatch while some California White chicks hatched quickly and then ran around the incubator and kicked the other eggs around. Right now I'm giving all my chicks medicated feed. Should I add vitamins or maybe try a little baby aspirin?

Unfortunately when chicks have these kinds of problems, they have to be fixed within a few days. I'm not sure about this, but your chick may have a slipped tendon, which is very hard to fix, but has to be fixed in the first day or two. You might try some Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) or chick vitamins in the water for a few weeks to try and get the toes straight. Here is a good link about foot and leg problems in chicks:

I got a chick just like this one once is she by chance a calico cochin bantie? because after culling her I sent her in and it was a genetic problem causing the twisting in the leg. so that might also be your case they could both have been from the same lines.

Having a problem with my chick very swollen twist leg happened at hatch I've wrapped it and I'm giving her polysporin topically and vitimin drops. ( polyvisol ) any suggestions it's too swollen to move it much I have been slowly manipulating it back but I'm not sure what else I can do

Back
Top Bottom