Chick with umbilical chord!?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cluckcluckluke, Jan 6, 2014.

1. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Not sure what the go is with this.
    The chick has a sort of umbilical chord, I have never been told of this and even though Ive only had 5 hatches in my chicken time I have never come across this.

[​IMG]

This, what seems to be skin membrane from the egg shell is attached to a small hole about 1 cm below the vent.
    It is all dried and didn't seem to be serving a purpose at that time we we cut it of ( not to close to the hole ). She still has a little bit trailing behind her/him.

Will it just dry up and all will be good?
    Was it right to cut it?
    Is it normal?

2. cluckcluckluke

Can anyone help. I Kind of want to know soon as I will be putting her with her adoption broody tonight.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  3. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    Quote: Yes
    Yes
    Yes. [​IMG]
    Sounds like you did everything right. The last thing that happens before hatch is the chick absorbs the yolk and the sack around it, which can sometimes leave a little bit on the outside of the body. A little bit is normal. Some of it is also waste created while living in the egg. If there were yolk unabsorbed, then it would require some assistance. I would trim it as you did, but not too close to the body, and definitely not if it looked like alive flesh or red blood vessels. Sometimes it just falls off in the incubator after hatch because they run/flop everywhere, lol.

Keep it clean with idodine. If there were any bleeding at the cut site then you could dab it with cold water and cornstarch to stop the bleeding. Keep the area clean with anti-biotic ointment daily IF it looks like an open wound at the chick's navel. I can't see the navel in the photo.
    Otherwise, all is well, completely normal and chickie will be fine! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  4. cluckcluckluke

Ok. Thanks heaps. I just can't believe I haven't come across this at all and I have had 3 bator hatches already.
    I will keep an eye on it but as I said before she will be going down to the chicken run with her broody mum so hopefully she can help with it as well.
    Thanks again Viloa[​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by