Chick with very mild cut.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenbuddy, Apr 19, 2009.

1. chickenbuddy

chickenbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    I have a black tailed buff jap chick with a teeny tiny red cut above its vent (correct term?) well, I'm not so worried about it itselft but I am worried that the other 22 chicks might peck at it and make it worse. Also it is exposed since the chicks down at its rear is in need of cleaning (aka got poopy not pasty butt) Anyone have any advice? I figured I didn't need to post this in the emergency/disease section being such a little thing. Thanks!

2. UrbanPolish

UrbanPolish Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    This is kinda overused and a cure for everything lol, but have you considered/ are you able to maybe separate it if it does become a problem?

3. chickenbuddy

chickenbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    I thought of that, but I just don't want it to get too cold by itself even though it would have a heat lamp. I might try that but hopefully it will just pass. I will keep that in mind though. Thanks!

4. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    How did it get the cut? Was someone pecking?

Do you have them under a red lamp? This should keep things pretty quiet. Ensuring they have enough space helps, too. You may not have to separate just yet - - just be sure the cut is not still bleeding, and does not get infected.

Please keep us posted on how things work out.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by