Chick with weird deformity? *GRAPHIC PIC*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LaynaDon95, Feb 11, 2012.

1. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    What in the world is this? Is he going to die? I've had a couple hatch with an umbilical cord looking thing, but it was yellow and fell of immediately. This looks like part of his vent fell out, then a long bloody string, then the bulges you can see in the pic, attached to the end. He's been hatched for hours and it's still attached.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Never had that happen... I'm wondering if he or she had a twin that didn't finish developing. I wouldn't do a thing to try to remove it, just hoping and praying the poor thing survives and then perhaps this will either reabsorb or fall off..... Wish I could be of more help!

3. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Poor little guy, does it seemed bothered by it? Possible it could be his guts hanging out. I hope he does okay.

4. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    It's hard for him to walk in the incubator because it keep catching on stuff. I have no idea what it is. I just hope he lives. :\

5. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Put him in a small cup or bowl so that it doesn't get hurt or cut on the wire bottom [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. cyhuff1965

cyhuff1965 New Egg

Dec 30, 2011
    I had one hatch this week that looked very similar to yours. I put it in it's own little brooder and by the next afternoon it was fine and whatever it was attached to it was gone. He/she is a healthy 4 day old now.

7. ladyjey

ladyjey Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2012
    Cape Cod, MA
    I have no experience here but ...

I have heard that if chicks are incubated too cool they are in the egg too long and use up their yolk and die (starve) before hatching.

Likewise, if they are incubated too hot they can mature too fast and hatch before they've absorbed all the yolk.

Maybe this is what's happening?

8. taoist

taoist New Egg

Jan 7, 2012
    wow, is there a rash of this going on today? I've had two hatch similar to this (although, not as large as that) today. Mine are 2 days early, are your early?

9. ladyjey

ladyjey Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2012
    Cape Cod, MA
    earliness supports that the incubation temp is too high also

10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    thats his/her insides and the chick is more than likly gonna die. i'm sorry it sometimes happens and i dont know why but you can tell from the pic that it looks like the intestines. this is one of the rare times were i would cull the poor thing so its suffering would end.

i'm sorry [​IMG] but think of the upside you have a lot of healthy happy chicks and if i remember right ur still getting some [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by