Chick with wobbly head

Rune

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 11, 2013
Hi all i need a bit of wisdom on some week and half old peeps, buff silkie bantams. One of the peeps heads wobbles slowing from side to side. never ever seen this so could use some help with a dizzy peep.

This is actually pretty common in Silkies, especially the ones with vaults (the big bumps on their head), because of the way their skulls form. They have a soft spot, much like a human babies head. They can get the wobbles from taking a peck there or hitting their heads on something. The recommended treatment is vitamin E and selenium or Poly-vi-Sol (baby vitamins) without iron, treatment may help but it may not completely cure it. My rooster wobbles, he always has, and he still manages his normal rooster duties.

My chicks also got the wobbles when I would feed medicated chick starter. The cocci medication works by blocking thiamine uptake, which starves the cocci protozoa. Thiamine (vitamin B1) is essential to all living things. Its absence can bring about detrimental neurological issues, like head wobble, flipping and head tucking. Thiamine deficiency can be fatal if left untreated. Simply changing to unmedicatd chick starter (if you're using it) will probably make a world of difference.
Good luck, I hope your chick is feeling better soon!

Ty so much, unfortunately the little peeps were stressed to the point i thought i would lose them. they are on medicated feed since they had such watery stools. rite now am feeding pumpkin and carrots . They seem to b firming up a bit, so will pop out for new feed. Wondering if i should add the polyvisol also? And thankyou for the advise i am still a bit concerned over this little brood. I only do have the one with dance moves .

Back
Top Bottom