Chick with Wry Neck distress chirping. Please help.

HaleyDurnin

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2019
Tacoma, Washington
Im new to chicks and chickens. I have a flock of 4 chicks, the one I am worried about at the moment is a Silkie. She is almost 3 weeks, and yesterday I noticed she developed what I am almost positive is Wry Neck. I started her on the Vitamin E and selenium treatment yesterday. What I am concerned about is now she distress signaling. Not always, but usually after i wake her up to eat and get water and treat her, she will distress chirp until she falls asleep. Is this something I should be concerned about? Could it mean she is getting worse and is dying? And is there anything I can do for her poor little neck? Its completely curled over in-between her legs to the point she will roll over if not positioned right. Please help. Im a very concerned chick mama right now. I know sometimes they just don't make it but I have grown so attached to this little girl. Thanks in advance.

I wish I could think of something good that would help. Be sure to separate the sick bird from the other three. Wash and clean what you can.

Are there any other symptoms? How's the breathing? Diarrhia??

I wish I could think of something good that would help. Be sure to separate the sick bird from the other three. Wash and clean what you can.

Are there any other symptoms? How's the breathing? Diarrhia??

Yesterday when I found her her crop was pretty empty so I am hoping best case scenario the other girls weren't letting her eat and she became Vitamin deficient, and its not brain injury. One thing she has been doing that I find odd is she keeps rustling her chest feathers and shaking her head when its curled, almost seizure like??? She does seem to be breathing a little harder than the other girls, and I imagine its because her poor little neck is so twisted and she is basically resting on her beak. (I keep making sure she cant suffocate/ hand feed water so she doesn't drown in it) I do have her separated, but close enough to where she can still hear them. I read in other forums they sometimes get worse before they get better and I am hoping thats the case. When I went to check on her this morning she was upright and staring at me? and then went right back to her curled position. Is that normal? Like, do they have "good moments?"

Was this silkie normal when it first hatched?

I looked through chicken diseases and this was the only one that had twisting of neck/head.

Pneumoencephalitis: Also called Newcastle Disease, this is a respiratory disease and is serious because it is one of the diseases that can be passed to humans and other animals. Signs of pneumoencephalitis include nasal discharge, difficulty breathing, swelling of the face, trembling, paralysis, and a twisted head or neck

Last edited:
Does she seem to miss the other chicks? I would let her spend some supervised time with them to see if she settles down and becomes calmer. At 3 weeks, she shouldn’t have something contageous that the others have not be exposed to already. It might give her some comfort to be with them, at least for part of the time, as long as they aren’t harming her.

She may have a vitamin deficiency, or something genetically wrong—hard to tell. Mareks disease kind of a remote possibility. Usually chicks are 5 weeks up to around 25 weeks old to commonly see signs, although techniquely, it has happened at weeks.

She needs some b vitamins (Especially thiamine b1) as well as the E. Liver, or b complex tablets are good. Check her crop to see that it isn’t impacted. Make sure that she is drinking, taking vitamins, and some watery chick feed might help her to eat.

Does she seem to miss the other chicks? I would let her spend some supervised time with them to see if she settles down and becomes calmer. At 3 weeks, she shouldn’t have something contageous that the others have not be exposed to already. It might give her some comfort to be with them, at least for part of the time, as long as they aren’t harming her.

She may have a vitamin deficiency, or something genetically wrong—hard to tell. Mareks disease kind of a remote possibility. Usually chicks are 5 weeks up to around 25 weeks old to commonly see signs, although techniquely, it has happened at weeks.

She needs some b vitamins (Especially thiamine b1) as well as the E. Liver, or b complex tablets are good. Check her crop to see that it isn’t impacted. Make sure that she is drinking, taking vitamins, and some watery chick feed might help her to eat.

Okay, B vitamins are the only thing I havent been giving her but ill start right away.

newcastle
Are you in California?

Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-2-21_20-49-56.png

Back
Top Bottom