1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick without wing feathers?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by adlynch, Dec 12, 2016.

1. adlynch

adlynch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2016
    Spring Hope, NC
    One of my chicks doesn't have "wing feathers" (not sure of the correct term) like the rest of them. Is this normal? Am I just over thinking things?

[​IMG]

2. adlynch

Mar 6, 2016
    Spring Hope, NC
    This is what everyone else looks like.
    [​IMG]

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Is that chick as active as the rest? Eating and drinking ok? Is it noisier than the rest? What kind are they? Is that chick soft and mushy compared to the rest? How old are they?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  4. adlynch

Mar 6, 2016
    Spring Hope, NC

Buff Orpington, hatched 12/5. She seems to be eating and drinking normal. She hangs out under the heat lamp and sleeps a little more than the others. Sometimes she seems a little off balance when she stands up. She chirps like everyone else, except when I single her out and hold her she is really calm and falls asleep, whereas if I pick up one of the others by itself they Chrip really loud (calling out to their siblings I assume) I don't think she is soft or mushy though?

5. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    From the way she is acting, she may be a failure to thrive chick. You could try getting some Poultry Nutri-Drench into her, and see if that makes a difference. Either way, she may perk up and do fine, or she may go into a general decline and either need to be culled or end up dying.

6. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    LG is right. You probably have a failure to thrive chick if it doesn't appear to be growing. Poultry Nutri-drench is a must if you want to give it a chance.

But as far as the wings are concerned, I don't believe it has anything to do with your chick being a slow starter. It's been my experience, that retarded wing feather growth more often points to the chick being male. I've had failure to thrive chicks and the wing feathers grow even though the chick does not, except when the chick is a cockerel.

This is just my opinion, not to be taken as absolute fact. I stand ready to be overruled by those much more in the know.

7. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I agree re: gender, but didn't want to go down that road, instead looking at the primary issue at hand.

8. adlynch

Mar 6, 2016
    Spring Hope, NC
    [​IMG]

This is what they have right now, is that the same thing? Or is the other stronger?

9. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Sorry, I can't decipher your last post.

10. adlynch

Mar 6, 2016
    Spring Hope, NC

It was just a stock photo of the Sav-a-Chick probiotic powder packet. I have that in their water right now. I didn't know if that was similar to the nutri-drench you were referring to...

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by