Chick wobbly/not wanting to walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ohorion, Apr 5, 2018.

1. ohorion

ohorion In the Brooder

Apr 5, 2018
    So, I recently purchased 10 chicks from the local hardware store. Everything has been fine with them except recently, one has been refusing to walk and when she does, she is very unsteady. She also flops over when I try and have her walk. All she does is sit and everyone else walks all over her. I have only noticed this in the past few days and the other birds are very healthy/active. I keep them on pine shavings in a large dog cage (the sides and bottom are covered so no little legs get caught). They are under a heat lamp and have a heater on them 24/7.
    The chicks are only a few weeks old and they are fed chickstarter.
    I can't figure out how to upload a video because it keeps telling me that the attachment is too large

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It could possibly be a genetic issue or some type of internal injury or vitamin/mineral deficiency. Supportive care is all you can do, but keep in mind there might come a time that you may have to cull the chick. Also, keep a close eye on the other chicks for anything out of the ordinary.
    You can give her Poultry Nutri Drench, one drop twice a day orally for 3 days and see if there's improvement.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    ohorion likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: