Chick wobbly/not wanting to walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ohorion, Apr 5, 2018.

1. ohorion

ohorion In the Brooder

Apr 5, 2018
    So, I recently purchased 10 chicks from the local hardware store. Everything has been fine with them except recently, one has been refusing to walk and when she does, she is very unsteady. She also flops over when I try and have her walk. All she does is sit and everyone else walks all over her. I have only noticed this in the past few days and the other birds are very healthy/active. I keep them on pine shavings in a large dog cage (the sides and bottom are covered so no little legs get caught). They are under a heat lamp and have a heater on them 24/7.
    The chicks are only a few weeks old and they are fed chickstarter.
    I can't figure out how to upload a video because it keeps telling me that the attachment is too large

2. LoveDatChickenLife

LoveDatChickenLife Chirping

Jul 9, 2017
    I’m sorry to hear that. Try going back to the place you bought them and ask for the vitamin stuff to put in their water. It should give her an energy boost I Hope. Is she opening her eyes and watching the world around? Does she show pain when the other birds walk on her? Is she eating and drinking well?

3. ohorion

ohorion In the Brooder

Apr 5, 2018
    She does open her eyes and watch but she mostly has them closed and sleeps. She doesn't seem to be in pain when they walk on her and even crawls under their legs to huddle when she gets put back in the cage. I'm not sure about her eating habits as I'm not able to watch them 24/7. Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: