Chick won’t absorb yolk/advice please

esme13

Songster
7 Years
Apr 22, 2014
New York
I have a chick that hatched Tuesday morning after 24hrs of it pipping. This chick was 22 days incubating. The chick has an egg yolk that feels a bit harden still intact. The chicks is eating , drinking and pooping To my surprise.

what am I to do with this sac hanging on?? It’s about the size of a dime. This chick keeps standing up very tall. Very noisy little chick too.

igorsMistress

Frank and Abbys mom.
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Apr 9, 2013
My Coop
My Coop
Is the yolk all dried out or is it still mushy? If dry you can snip it off with sterilized scissors. Some probiotics and vitamins would probably help give it a boost, Nutridrench also.

esme13

Songster
7 Years
Apr 22, 2014
New York
Is the yolk all dried out or is it still mushy? If dry you can snip it off with sterilized scissors. Some probiotics and vitamins would probably help give it a boost, Nutridrench also.

it looks a little mushy inside.The outside is a bit harden. Belly still has a little redness around the connection. I’ve applied vasoline to try and keep it moist. But the connective area still looks rather large and I don’t want it to herniate. Very feisty chick too, picks on its sibling.

igorsMistress

Frank and Abbys mom.
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Apr 9, 2013
My Coop
My Coop
it looks a little mushy inside.The outside is a bit harden. Belly still has a little redness around the connection. I’ve applied vasoline to try and keep it moist. But the connective area still looks rather large and I don’t want it to herniate. Very feisty chick too, picks on its sibling.
What about the attachment piece, also mushy? I've had that once in my hatches and I snipped it off after 24 hours and used coconut oil on it. The chick made it but that little piece of cord was pretty dry.

Top Bottom