Chick won't lift head up?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chcknatthedisco, Jun 30, 2016.

1. chcknatthedisco

chcknatthedisco Just Hatched

Jun 30, 2016
    One of our chicks started acting weird about a week ago. She wouldn't lift her head all the way up and sometimes her neck would give out. She wouldn't move and then her head would shake and she would push herself across the floor backwards. We treated her for botulism and she is doing better but she still won't lift her head up. She runs around with the other chicks but sometimes her head will drop. Usually it seems like something triggers it, like me picking her up. She is an ameraucana and about 5 weeks old. Here are pictures (she is the orange one)[​IMG][​IMG]so what do you guys think is wrong? Thanks for any help

2. Gresh

Gresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Here's a link that may be helpful:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1118195/help-what-could-be-wrong

Although the breed in the above threat is a Silkie, wry-neck and other similar neck/paralysis issues can be found in any breed.

I am sorry to hear about her condition...those pictures hurt my heart. I hope she gets better. Let me know if the link (particularly the response I gave to the owner) is helpful or not.

~Gresh~

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  4. chcknatthedisco

Jun 30, 2016
    Thank you both. I looked into wry neck but it just didn't seem right. I will try the vitamins. Other than her neck she seems like any other chick. Thank you again.

5. Gresh

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    No problem. Keep us posted, and let us know if there is any improvement or worsening of her condition!

6. chcknatthedisco

Jun 30, 2016
    We bought the poultry cell stuff and put it in with her water. She didn't look any worse but it is too soon to tell. I am gone until Monday night. Will give you an update then :) sadly a predator is also picking off our bigger hens

7. Gresh

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Sorry to hear about the predator...that's a whole discussion in itself! If the problem gets bad you can always go to the "Predators and Pests" section of the forum...there's all sorts of helpful hints there!

Have a good weekend, and Happy Independence Day!

8. chcknatthedisco

Jun 30, 2016
    Hey guys! Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner, but Weatherby (our chick with wry neck) is doing perfect! We bought poultry cell and put it in her water and food for about 3 weeks. She is completely normal and runs around with the rest of them. Thank you all for the suggestions :)

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Thanks for the update!
    Glad to hear she is doing just fine[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by