We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Chick wont lift head.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ManWithChicks, Jul 18, 2019.

1. ManWithChicks

ManWithChicks In the Brooder

Jul 17, 2019
    Just went through my first hatch on Saturday/Sunday, and it ended up being pretty stressful for me.
    We started with 10 Cream Legbar eggs, and after about 10 day I checked them and only one wasnt developing.
    So I eneded up with 9 developing eggs.
    On Saturday morning 2 eggs hatched, both female
    On Sunday morning 2 more hatched a female and a male
    Now over the last days there were some pips and zipping on 2 other eggs, but they seemed to have the zip on the smaller side of egg.
    So I let them try to get out on their own for like a day at least, wasnt happening, so I helped one, and the other one I let go one more night, because it had piped last.
    End up helping the other one out and now on Thursday I have 1 male and 5 females.

The problem is the two I helped hatch. I think they were both shrinkwrapped.
    They both developed curled toes and splayed legs. So I built them boots and braces, left them on for one day and removed and that was fixed.

The second one i helped is a "Mushy Chick" I think, which makes me sad because she is acting so normal and aware. She had pooped herself in the egg, and has a big belly with a sore on it, it kind of swollen to one side. DOnt know what to do with her. She eats and drinks a ton, but still seems tiny

THe first one I helped out of shell looks normal, but I cant figure out what is wrong with her. She does not lift her head past parallel to the ground. Keeps it to the left mostly, doesnt seem to turn her head to the right at all.
    She also always seems to be standing and falling asleep, she falls asleep in food, and water, and will keep nodding off until beak hits water, wakes up , does again. She eats and drinks, but not much, she also makes less noise then the others. Ive searched the internet high and wide and cant find anything that resembles whats wrong with this chick. Anyone seen this before? Anything I can do for either of these chicks? Currently I have them in a speperate brooder from the healthy ones.

RhodeIslandRed5 likes this.
  2. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Aww, poor little chickies. Sounds like they need some vitamins.

ChickNanny13 and Wyorp Rock like this.
  3. ManWithChicks

Jul 17, 2019
    Yeah, I was thinking of trying that today.

4. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Go for it! :thumbsup And if you want, you could post pictures of the chicks to show us how they look.

5. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Can you post some pictures of the chicks?

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Poultry Cell or NutriDrench can be good to use on newly hatched or sick chickens for a couple of days. Neurological problems like wry neck and foot/leg problems can be common during hatch problems. With treatment of wry neck, vitamin E and thiamine are important, and riboflavin is good for leg issues. All of those are included in the vitamins listed above. Dosage is 1 ml for every 3 pounds of weight, so a couple of drops are plenty.

7. ManWithChicks

Jul 17, 2019
  8. ManWithChicks

Jul 17, 2019
    Ok, Im going to go to my local Tractor Supply Co and see if they have any of these products. Thanks you.
    Also, looking at these photos, is this considered Wry neck?

9. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Tractor Supply has these if you want to give these a shot. 1560451417088.jpg

ManWithChicks likes this.
  10. ManWithChicks

Jul 17, 2019
    Got some Poultry Cell and stuff similar to the Durvet.
    Also just noticed that the chick with a neck issue appears to have a lump on the right side of neck, down near the body. Any ideas what that could be?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: