1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick won't move

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eiffelsammy, Mar 10, 2017.

1. eiffelsammy

eiffelsammy New Egg

Mar 10, 2017
    I'm asking for your help [​IMG] One of my chicks won't move since this morning. It won't walk, drink nor eat anything. It approached to my hand very slowly, so I am carrying it all the time. Its eyes are closed and won't move. Its peak opens from time to time but it doesn't make any noise. I am concerned, thank you for helping me.

2. ChickenGoesRuff

ChickenGoesRuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    Iowa
    Use a syringe or dropper (a drinking straw will also work, just stopper one end with your finger) to give it some water with electrolytes or sugar, being careful not to let it choke. Separate it, keep it warm, and try and get it to drink and eat. How old is it? Check the crop and look closely at the eyes, ears, nares, vent, and legs of the chick for any abnormality. Did any trauma occur to the chick, that it might be in shock? If you want to hold it, make sure it is adequately warm for its age. Is it gasping or just stressed? Any environmental changes to the brooder, like different bedding? Sorry for all the questions, but It's the best way to determine how to help an ailing chick.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  3. eiffelsammy

eiffelsammy New Egg

Mar 10, 2017
    Thank you, just gasping, no injuries or abnormalities no sneezing and no changes. Just lethargic and its feathers look funny. It's 4 weeks old

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  4. eiffelsammy

eiffelsammy New Egg

Mar 10, 2017
    I'm giving it some water with ACV with a syringe and trying to feed it too. I've been told to give it garlic bits in case it's been bitten by a spider or another insect, thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by