Chick won't open eyes

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by teutschb, Mar 28, 2011.

1. teutschb

teutschb Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2011
    Alliance, OH
    OK, you smart chicken lovers, I have a question. I hatched a chick last friday, and she acts like she can't open her eyes. She wobbles on her legs fighting for balance just because I think she can't see. Has anyone heard of this? She seemed fine and all of sudden, I noticed her having trouble with balance. She eats and drinks somehow. Is there something they can get in there eyes or anything anyone has ever heard of? I don't have a clue..... [​IMG]

2. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Have her eyes been fine up until now?

And My I suggest starting this topic in Emergencies section you might get more answers. BTW one of my chicks that hatched on Sat has barely open eyes as well. I started some neosporin and did q-tip wipes and wet down today. I think they might just be glued from something. Not sure.

3. teutschb

teutschb Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2011
    Alliance, OH
    I think they have been fine up to Sunday I noticed her acting strangely. She had some egg sack stuck to her eyes, but it used a Qtip and water to remove it gently. I'm stumped. Her eyes aren't glued, I checked them. I wish I knew.

4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I am guessing that her eyes are still glued.. soak one eye with warm water and a soft paper napkin or paper towel.. Do not rub it .. just keep it good and wet for a few minutes.. If it opens that eye, do the other one..

edit to say: please do not be like so many others on here.. let us know if anything helps or not..

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by