Chick won't sit down

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sferrari, Oct 21, 2009.

1. sferrari

sferrari New Egg

Apr 16, 2009
    I received my 26 EE chicks from MPC about a week ago and there's one chick that never sits down. He's a little smaller than the other chicks but; besides that, he eats, drinks, and gets around fine. He seems to sleep more than the other chicks, while standing up of course. I did a search but couldn't find any pertinent info. Any ideas?

2. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Standing up is usually a sign of some type of weakness, like they can't give in... try poly-vi-sol and some electrolytes in the water. If that doesn't do it, it could be a hip thing and may straighten out over time, they can have odd hip joints at birth. Best of luck with him.

3. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Can you post a pic?

4. sferrari

sferrari New Egg

Apr 16, 2009
    I think it was just cold. I don't know. I changed up my brooder to minimize drafts and I propped it up so it doesn't come in contact with the ground. I also got new feed, gave it some gatorade, and added more wood chips to the brooder. it could have been any one of those things. Or it could have been none. What's important is the chick is doing fine. I'll try to get some pictures up anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by