Chick won't stand

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lrm93, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Lrm93

Lrm93 In the Brooder

Aug 9, 2017
    IMG_2831.JPG IMG_2832.JPG IMG_2833.JPG I bought 18 freedom ranger chicks at tractor supply yesterday. They were all fine yesterday, now tonight I have one that won't stand up. Her leg is stiff. It's slightly red and a little swollen. I tried stretching it out behind her and massaging it but it didn't help. She's also not eating or drinking. I have her in a separate brooder that she's sharing with my silky with pasty butt. It's just the two of them now. She's not moving. When I set her down she fell over and struggled to get back up. What can I do? I'll include some pictures.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She may have an injury or a leg bone deformity or slipped rendon. A vitamin or mineral deficiency could also be possible. I would start some poultry vitamins, and make sure they have riboflavin or B2. Save AChick, Durvet, or Poultry Cell are good. A human Complex tablet could also be crushed and put into some of her feed or the water until you get chick vitamins. You can put some plain triple antibiotic ointment on the red skin at the hock. She looks weak, and possibly dehydrated probably from not drinking enough. Dip her beak into water with the vitamins for a second, then let her swallow, and keep repeating with rest periods. Check her vent area for any stuck on poop, and keep it clean. I hope you can save her.

Lrm93 and ChickNanny13 like this.
  3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    2x Eggcessive Right side hock, I see like a black spot or scab, am I seeing wrong?

4. Lrm93

Lrm93 In the Brooder

Aug 9, 2017
    Sorry it's her left side. The black spot was a little bit of poop. Her right leg is moving good but she won't move the left at all

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Follow Eggcessive advice, it's what I would recommend. Hope the chick responds.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Check into chick chairs and chicken slings by Googling and looking at pictures. That would be a good way to get her up and put little food and water in little cups in front of her.

If it is a leg bone deformity or slipped tendon, usually not much can be done, but you can read some info online. Some try splints or physical therapy. These chicks sometimes are culled due to this defect to keep them from suffering.

Poultry Pedia Podiatry and other links are good to read. Google “leg bone deformities in poultry” and “slipped tendon” for more info.

ChickNanny13 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: