Chick won't stop crying....Can chicks get gas? HELP...Cried all night

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickiemomma4, Sep 10, 2009.

1. chickiemomma4

chickiemomma4 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Any help would greatly be appreciated. Can chicks get gas. She has been crying all night. She has runny poop and seems to feel a little better and stops crying when I hold her on her back and rub her belly. Anyone have experience with this problem. She is my little BCM and about 5 days old. She is the only one that hatched out of 14 shipped eggs. I feel so sorry for her. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  2. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    If she is your only hatchling, then I think her main problem is that she is lonely. Try adding a small stuffed animal in the brooder that she can cuddle to.

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    She is lonely that is why she stops crying when you hold her. I'd try putting a little plush animal for her to snuggle with in the brooder. Can you get her another chick? That would be ideal.

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    She's lonely and needs a friend. Chickens are very social creatures and thrive best when they have companions. Try adding a small stuffed animal or a stuffed sock with a small mirror to the box and if you can get a friend for her, that would be best. [​IMG]

5. chickiemomma4

Aug 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thanks guys. I have 2 other chicks that are 2 days old. (Dorkings) I put them in with her and she wouldn't stop pecking their feet and eyes, so I told her back out. Then last night I put her in with them and one of them started pecking her. I will try again to bring them together. She doesn't stop crying when I hold her except when I rub her belly. I having little runny poops. Maybe she is stressed. I will try putting them together right now. Thanks!

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You could try distracting them when you put them together. A little plain yogurt mixed with a little feed is a great treat for young chicks n might help. Put a couple of sticks and a brick, or a mirror, or some such, in the brooder for them to investigate. If it is warm enough, take them outdoors for an hour or two; they won't need much for a pen at that age.

7. chickiemomma4

Aug 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    IT'S WORKING .....IT'S WORKING!!! Thanks so much guys. It was breaking my heart. She isn't crying anymore. She is falling a sleep standing up. I think she is exhausted from crying all night. The 2 day old chicks are checking her out and pecking a little at her feet but they seem to be getting the hang of it. It is awesome to not hear her crying now. I knew they were social creatures but she was an attack chickie the first time I tried to put them together. She attacked like crazy and when I put cardboard between them she even tried pecking their feet underneath it and would run up and down and peck at the cardboard where she knew they were at on the other side. She seems SO much better now!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

THINGS ARE LOOKING GOOD NOW!

YOU GUYS ARE WONDERFUL!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  8. chickiemomma4

Aug 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    She is quite now, but acts like she is in a trance. Maybe she is sleeping with one eye open. [​IMG]

9. chickiemomma4

Aug 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    OKay guys...my little chickie is still having problems. She is still crying and seems to be getting weaker. She was so strong. I have been feeding her little drops of water with an eye dropper. She isn't eating and doesn't seem to be able to go to sleep even though she is exhausted. Could she have gotten in a twit being by herself and now not able to come out of it. She was so strong. HELPPPPPP! [​IMG]

10. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Is she kind of standing in a corner with her feathers fluffed out, eyes closed and peeping?

If she is it could be cocci.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by