Chick won't stop drinking water...????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TheFarmMama, Jan 10, 2010.

1. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    Hey yall, I have a French Black Copper Maran that just never seems to stop drinking water. I had switched their waterer to a different one, thought maybe it was dehydration, but the other 2 that are in with her are perfectly fine and are not at all acting the way she is. It's to the point that I've actually taken the waterer out so she wouldn't get herself sick. She drank so much water the other day that when I barely touched her crop (to see if it was full of food or just water) it all came back out. I put it back in several times a day so they do get plenty of water but she'll just sit there and won't quit so I feel like I can't leave it in the brooder anymore. When she drinks she's submerging her entire beak so she ends up sneezing water out and shaking her head which seemed normal enough since it was clearly down her nose but also, after a couple sips she does this weird open mouth thing like she's gaging. She then acts normal when I take the water away except she'll sometimes seem to like regurgitate the water. Otherwise she is perfectly fine. She's got a great appetite, she runs away from me like she normally would, she's very active, etc. Any ideas what the heck is going on with her and how to fix it? It could just be a coincidence that it happened when I switched the waterers (which since it started 2 days ago has been switched back!) but I've never ever had a chick that did this. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    I have no idea, it sounds really strange. I hope someone else has some ideas for you.

3. TheFarmMama

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    Thankfully Daisy is fine again...guess it was dehydration after all and just took her a little while to catch back up [​IMG] Gotta love easy fixes and healthy babies!

4. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    sooooo.....where are the pics?

6. TheFarmMama