1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick won't stop peeping!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JessaLynn, Apr 10, 2009.

1. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    I have one Buff cochin chick that's 2 days old who wont stop peeping.All the rest are quiet but this one just is loud as can be.It's not real active like the others tad smaller to and prefers to be held ALL THE TIME! The only time I can really keep it quiet. [​IMG] Any suggestions? I have had chickens for the past 5 years and never had a loud chick like this before.We have a brooder in the house and it's driven everyone crazy,even the other chicks.haha

2. Backyard Farm

Backyard Farm Certified Personal Chicken Attendant

Apr 1, 2009
    One hatch last year I had a few chicks that just didn't want to be quiet.

I gave them a little "cave" and it helped. I put a little box in the brooder, upside down, with one side open (3 solid). The height was just enough that their little heads didn't touch.

It really helped. I think it let them feel like they were hiding under a hen. the noisy chicks and pretty much everyone else like the little inverted box.

Definitely helped with the noisy ones!![​IMG]

3. Backyard Farm

Backyard Farm Certified Personal Chicken Attendant

Apr 1, 2009
    ....also
    heard that hanging a feather duster in the brooder just off the ground helps chicks feel "covered".

This might help this little fellow feel more secure..

4. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    I just seen a picture of someone else doing that.Never have I heard of it but hey it's worth the effort! Thanks for tip!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by