Chick Won't Stop Screaming

ChickenGirl555

Crowing
5 Years
Oct 22, 2017
Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
I hatched 2 of my own chicks almost a week ago. My first hatch actually came on day 20 while the other took its time until day 24 (I took out Griffin after 18 hours because he was really messing with the second's unhatched egg). The first chick I've named Griffin, the second is Cricket. They're both random mutts I hatched for fun to see how genetics played out. The father of both is a Dark Brahma, the moms were a Barred Rock and Buff Orp, respectively. That's not really important, but a cool little detail in my opinion. Anyway, so Griffin had been alone for maybe 1.5 days until we put 5 chicks I had ordered from my town's Feed Mill with him (I'm calling Griffin a him but I have no idea on gender). He seemed sad and very quiet, so I sat next to his brooder and rubbed his little crop with my finger whenever he waddled up to me. Ever since I put the 5 mill chicks with him, he tends to just chirp non-stop, unless he sleeps or unless he is in my hand/I'm touching him. He is a big baby, and I'm thinking that could be the source of the crying but I'm really wondering if I should be concerned. He eats, drinks, sleeps, poops, gets heat--all the other 6 (including the second hatched one) act normal and have access to the exact same things, never screaming like Griffin. He also acts fine, walking like normal and playing with the others but somehow accomplishing screaming AND doing daily activities at the same time. Should this be concerning? He's extremely friendly and calm when I pick him up properly, but fusses when I try to cover him with my hand while holding in the other, which the other chicks love but hate being picked up.

If this chick is behaving normally in all respects, this constant vocalizing may be a result of individual temperament and perhaps gender. But keep an eye on it for signs that its becoming constipated. It will chirp more as it tried to poop.

He's imprinted on you as his mother/flock. It's time for tough love.
Oh, that's adorable! My little baby :love

But yes, I did notice he screamed LOUDER than usual last night when it was the first day I haven't sat with them for an hour or more. What a little stinker...Tough love needed indeed.
If this chick is behaving normally in all respects, this constant vocalizing may be a result of individual temperament and perhaps gender. But keep an eye on it for signs that its becoming constipated. It will chirp more as it tried to poop.
Thank you, I'll watch Griffin and spend some time with them tonight to see how he's pooping. Because...to be honest I don't remember seeing him poop very much or often so it's a little concerning. I could have just been handling another chick and not paying attention, though.

Back
Top Bottom