Chick,yellowish substance coming out rear.Hen ate yellow stuff.Weak.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ondra's Seramas, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    I found a chick this morning under a broody hen. It was mostly out, but the egg around it was flattened and broken because the hen stepped on it. The "umbilical cord" like thingy that is below the vent was not clotting up like it should. I took it inside. A yellow yoke like substance with blood veins in started coming out the end, about 1/2 inch long. I put it under a different hen that I trusted after helping it out of the shell. I came back 1/2 hour later and I saw this hen with the yellow stuff on her beak, a mean look in her eye, and a set of lifeless chick legs coming out the front. I was about to pick up the legs and throw them away when they moved. I ran the BR chick inside and it is now under the heat lamp. The yolklike substance is now a full inch long. There is more blood in it. The chick also has a peck right on top of its ear. Evil hen.That has to be the most descriptive title ever.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2009
  2. Ondra's Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Anyone?

3. Ondra's Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Her liquid dried up but now she is back with her mom. I really wish someone would have helped me though [​IMG] Oh well. I have another question. 3 out of 5 BR chicks have been like this, but not to that extent. Is is the feed? Is is genetic?

4. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    It appears that no one knows! Sorry. Maybe you should try a new post on this question on the baby chick/hatching section.

5. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ondra,
    How frustrating to be worried and not get an answer. There does seem to be an art to posting on the board to get attention. I saw your post yesterday and felt so sad realizing you were having to sort it out all on your own. I was at work and couldn't put a post up then. It took some time to find it this morning. There have been so many posts in emergencies just in the last twelve hours! Know that I have been thinking of you and wishing you comfort...and healthy chicks too!

6. Ondra's Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    I just got back from a weekend trip. The little chick died [​IMG] It wasn't from the yellow stuff though, that healed. I think it had a heart defect. I have seen it before. The chick started gasping and flipped over dead within 3 minutes.

7. govega

govega Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2008
    Allentown NJ
    We had two chicks hatch this weekend. The first one seems very vigorous and full of life, and then suddenly I noticed it was dragging what at first looked like a clot of blood from its vent area; by yesterday it seemed to be bigger and my husband tried to clean it off (despite my protests to leave it alone). This morning when my hubby woke up it was dead. I think it had something wrong with it -- it was like it's insides were coming out. Poor chick! I felt so desparate to do something but knew as a non-surgeon what could we do? It looked so scared. I am very depressed today.

Of our 10 eggs in the incubator, only two hatched, and that one died [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by