Chickabator Incubator a good incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by OneCrazyCowgirl, Nov 23, 2012.

1. OneCrazyCowgirl

OneCrazyCowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I wanted a small, cheap incubator and found this one. It seems pretty cheap so I wanted to ask some people if it's recommended or not. If not, any other small incubators recommended would be nice.

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    http://www.poultryhelp.com/chickbator.html

It's been my experience that you're better off biting the bullet and spending the money for a decent incubator. I like the genesis hovabator and the brinsea eco - neither are "cheap" but they do a good job.

3. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Oh wow i was about to get this just for a few trial runs with my new rooster but now having second thoughts.

4. OneCrazyCowgirl

OneCrazyCowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks so much for the information. Do you know of any incubators around 40-60 dollars?

5. midwest

midwest Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2012
    Missouri
    I would not recommend it.
    IMO go out and get the cheapest Hovabator model. They run about $50 or less. I would also not recommend the Little Giant which looks very similar to the Hovabator.

That being said, I have owned, used and hatched in a chickbator. It was my introduction into hatching eggs. I saved and bought one from out of a comic book when I was about 10 years old. It came with 4 quail eggs one of which was broken when they arrived. I set the other 3 and 1 did hatch. So a 33% hatch rate from shipped eggs which is better then what you could sometimes get in any incubator.
    The chickbator is tiny, a lot smaller then I had imagined. It is beyond cheaply made from cheap material. It works with a simple small light bulb with an on and off switch. There is no temp control and humidity is done by filling up one to all three legs. So a little bit of adjustment with that. To be honest I never even checked the humidity level when I used it.
    I only used it one time and then went and bought a Hovabator.
    Looking back now I cant believe it ever work and goes to show you how little it really takes to hatch an egg. But IMO it would be a lot better to spend a little more and greatly improve your odds.

6. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by