chickadee

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tambra, Sep 21, 2012.

1. tambra

tambra New Egg

Sep 21, 2012
    Hello iam all new at this so please feel free to help me out .... I have 4 older hens that i got last year that has already started laying ...then added 6 road Island reds that are younger this year ... now 2 of my older hens has stopped laying ...why???

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Stress of adding new birds and/or they could be starting to molt.

3. tambra

tambra New Egg

Sep 21, 2012
    like i sayed i am new at this ... so what are some of the symtems of molting ???

4. thefunkylama

thefunkylama New Egg

Sep 18, 2012
    Molting is an annual event in the life of chickens wherein they lose their feathers (a few at a time), to be replaced by new ones. From what I've read, they usually start with the longest wing (flight) feathers and then move basically from head to tail, so you should check the wings to see if the flight feathers are all there. I believe they have ten flight feathers on each wing, and they lose them in sequence starting from the tip of the wing on back. That's where I would look if I were looking for molting.

I will say that when I added new hens to my coop (twice), my ladies stopped laying. They'll either start laying again soon, or they'll take a break.

If you're looking for a good reference to have on hand, I've found Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens to be a valuable resource. It's got some pretty reliable information and has helped me not to panic needlessly about my hens.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  5. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    I read "Raising Chickens for Dumbies" twice before I ventured into raising chickens this spring. And I am proud to admit I am addicted.

6. thefunkylama

thefunkylama New Egg

Sep 18, 2012
    Yeah, I can't tell you how many different chicken books I read before I finally bit the bullet and got a hen. I would go to Powell's and grab as many books as they'd let me into the cafe with and read them for hours, absorbing as much as I could. But man, are they rad little creatures.

7. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    I agree. Today was my big 40, and all I wanted to do was get home and check on the birds, 6 pullets, 1 cockerel and 3 chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by