Chickadoo's Toosh

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by arouech, Apr 20, 2017.

1. arouech

arouech Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2017
    Canton, Ohio
    I have one chick, I call her "Little Wing" because shes smaller than the rest of the flock (I think she may be a week younger than the rest, but I'm not sure because I got them all at the same time). All the girls are getting their adult feathers in, and they're coming in beautifully. Little Wing's feathers are coming in as well, just slower than the rest.

All the girls 'chick' feathers are starting to fly around my garage as their new ones come in. With that being said, I haven't noticed any spots on the girls where there are no feathers at all. Little Wing has a spot around her toosh and tail feathers where its just bare. It doesn't look to be red or irritated or any sign of blood and it doesn't seem to bother her at all. Is this common? I'm going to watch her like a hawk for a while to make sure it doesn't start to bother her. I don't see it with any of my other girls.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos?

Chicks develop feathers at different stages and some grow a bit slower than others. Without seeing it, it's hard to know. If she isn't red or there's no inflamed tissues that you see, just wait and see. Watch the other chicks to make sure they aren't pulling out feathers just in case that's the cause.

3. arouech

arouech Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2017
    Canton, Ohio
    Yea she seems perfectly fine. It's really just a light pink, I think she's losing feathers faster than the new ones are growing. I sat with them for about an hour and no ones picking in each other. I had the problem 3 weeks ago and nipped it in the butt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by