chickees won't roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mendozer, Jun 5, 2011.

1. mendozer

mendozer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    SO i recently put my 12 week olds into their new coop. they huddle in a corner when they sleep. Same corner every time, right by the vent and door. The roost area is less drafty so i have no idea why they won't do that. There's a window above the roost, does that matter?

2. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    They will, give them time.. It took my girls a good 2 weeks for everyone to figure out how to roost.. My TT girls roosted first, and my red girls would lay under them and get pooped on all night!!![​IMG]

3. Keene's coop

Keene's coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    no. my coop has windows from wall to wall and they are at the roosts level. just don't worry. they will eventually do it. if you want, you can place each of them on the roost to show them what it is for. that might help.

4. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    They figure it out eventually. Some people put them on the roost to teach them. I wasn't about to do that so I let them do it themselves. At 16 weeks, they were on the roost.

5. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Quote:I think I remember you saying the red ones were the poop board for a while?

6. mendozer

mendozer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    well in the brooder i had a pole in there and they roosted just fine. i guess they have to learn the new pole or something. they've walked on it while exploring it their first day

7. 14chickmama

14chickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Mine won't roost either! They huddle together in the corner. Mine are 13 weeks old. So I'm just waiting. They do get in the nesting boxes but I don't know if they sleep up there or just go up to mess up the pine shavings, lol

8. 14chickmama

14chickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Mine won't roost either! They huddle together in the corner. Mine are 13 weeks old. So I'm just waiting. They do get in the nesting boxes but I don't know if they sleep up there or just go up to mess up the pine shavings, lol

9. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    They will roost on their own schedule. Be patient. [​IMG]

10. Aemelia

Aemelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    My 11 week olds don't roost either they sleep snuggled up in the back corner. They did roost in their brooder. I haven't let it bug me. I'm just so glad they take themselves in and out they can sleep where ever as long as it's in the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by