Chicken “molting” or being plucked by other chickens?

ChickenToni

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2020
I had a silver laced Wyandotte who at 1 1/2 yrs age seemed to go through a late season heavy molt. She had a bald neck and an area on her side was bald. The feathers that came in seemed to only have the shaft with little webbing. After the second molting season I was hoping her new feathers would be beautiful but she died😢. Now one of mixed chickens is now having a late season severe molt so I am wondering if I have a bully chicken that is plucking them. I have 4 chickens about 7 yrs old and no longer laying and then I added four chicks 2 1/2 years ago and I think one of the old ones is taking them out 1 at a time🥴. I have a few questions.
1. Do I pull the plucked one to hope she gets stronger?
2. Will the plucked one get new feathers or do they only come in only after molting seasons?
3. Is it best if I pull the young ones together instead one taking only 1 a way (thinking that I would eventually reintroduce them.
4. They have a very large area to free roam during the day so should I only separate them at night?
So you know, I have one rooster who is very nice from the original flock so he is old.

Thanks

Can you share a picture? Some of my bantam are currently molting. Some are doing a full body molt and some are doing neck molts like I see in early spring. Our weather here has been unusually warm. I'm wondering if that's why.

Picked birds generally get plucked around the vent and head. Most do not grow the feathers back right away. I personally don't remove molting birds unless I see they are having troubles, than I just pen them where they are still a part of the flock.

If you suspect plucking than quietly observing you flock for a while might be in order. Make sure you are feeding a good ration with enough protein especially if th are feeding extras.

and some are doing neck molts like I see in early spring.
Could you explain more about this comment?

I'm here searching "early molt" because I have two almost 1-year-old blue Ameraucanas who recently started losing their neck - or, more specifically, their muff - feathers. As in completely bald in that area.

We already have "peepers" on an identified bully, who was picking one of our Polish hen's head til it was bloody. But "the A's" as we call them (because we cannot tell them apart) are the other mean girls of the group - plus there's no blood at all. So I really don't think they're getting pecked.

Which is making me wonder about molting...

But in such young birds?
THIS time of year? :confused::barnie

~Ann

Could you explain more about this comment?

I'm here searching "early molt" because I have two almost 1-year-old blue Ameraucanas who recently started losing their neck - or, more specifically, their muff - feathers. As in completely bald in that area.

We already have "peepers" on an identified bully, who was picking one of our Polish hen's head til it was bloody. But "the A's" as we call them (because we cannot tell them apart) are the other mean girls of the group - plus there's no blood at all. So I really don't think they're getting pecked.

Which is making me wonder about molting...

But in such young birds?
THIS time of year? :confused::barnie

~Ann
I see hens sometimes in the spring going through a mini molt that only involves the neck. It doesn't seem to be on the head or body. Just around their necks.

I have had birds with muffs that get plucked by other hens. Not sure why they do it. Usually it's a lower ranking hen. It's possible that's what going on with your hen.

Back
Top Bottom