Chicken accidentlly out all night in cold

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KayElle, Jan 18, 2013.

1. KayElle

KayElle Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2012
    Last night one of my four month old chickens was left out all night in the cold, got Down to 10 degrees. Put her back in and turned. Heat lamp on. Should I be very worried??

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Chickens are tougher than we think. Just keep an eye on her and make sure she's eating and drinking okay for the next day or two.

3. ducclebreeder

ducclebreeder Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2013
    I wouldn't be too worried. once i accidentally left a bird outdoors. It looked like death was near. A few days after he was as good as new. As sjisty said, make sure it is eating right.[​IMG]

4. KayElle

Feb 29, 2012
    My husband says she's favoring one foot, I'm concerned about possible frostbite. We still have the light on to help her stay warmer thru tonight but how can i help her if she continues to favor her foot??

5. Steve Notchson

Steve Notchson Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2013
    Go to your vet and ask for FRP (Frost Repellant Paste) If it is frostbite that should cure it, it is an all natural paste (Sounds wierd) but it should help.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  6. KayElle

Feb 29, 2012
    Good to know thank you!!! Actually all my girls were walking good on all their feet today so I couldn't tell which one was which! But I'll def look into frp!!! Thanks!

7. Yay! Great she's doing better :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by