Chicken acted wierd then died, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coopmstr1985, Oct 22, 2011.

1. coopmstr1985

coopmstr1985 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2011
    Brighton, CO
    My Barred Rock hen was acting wierd the other evening when I was checking my flock. She was very lathargic and would'nt eat. this was accompanied by the squirts and gorging herself on water. she went from the nest to the waterer and did'nt move for approx 2hrs before I moved her to the house. from there she got worse, she stumbled across my basement in the middle of the night and passed. when I first noticed her becoming sick I administered antibiotics. I am stumped, the only thing I can think is she got into something while free ranging the yard. We have not treated or sprayed with chemicals since we have lived here approx 1yr. any ideas?

2. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    I read your post then looked for another that had similar symptoms but could not find that post. The symptoms sound generic except for the gorging herself on water. I am pretty sure someone stated that is a symptom of worms and I believe OP had hers tested for and treated for worms. Maybe at least my reply will give you a bump so someone else can help you. Sure hope no one else gets sick.

3. coopmstr1985

coopmstr1985 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2011
    Brighton, CO
    Havn't had any other ladies get sick, but did have her treated for worms prior to getting sick. guess thats just how it goes sometimes.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I don't know about chickens but, in dogs when they drink alot of water it can mean kidney failure, or diabetes.

5. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    it happens. Chickens are very low on the prey list, so they don't show signs of being ill until it's often to late. Now it's time to watch the rest of your flock closely. I would give them all an antibiotic for a couple of days. and then worm them. Sometimes the birds will just die, and there will be no reason why. Take care of the others will the best you can do.

6. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I would make sure that if you decide to go the antibiotic route, you do a FULL course of antibiotics on everyone. A couple of days of antibiotics won't do much good...it does kinda sound like maybe she got into something toxic...electrolites and probiotics may also be helpful...I am always hesitant to give antibiotics without knowing what I am treating...if it is viral, and you give antibiotics, it will kill off the good bacteria that could be helping fight off the virus, and give the virus the upper hand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by