Chicken acting slow? Is she sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sandbellie, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Sandbellie

Sandbellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Hey everyone.
    I have a Buff Orprington thats acting a little weird. This morning, when I went to let all the chickens out, she wasn't there when I counted everyone. So I looked inside the house, and she was still in there, kinda just standing there. She is usually one of the first to come out to eat!

I went and tried called her out, but she wouldn't come. So I stepped away from the door and waited. She finally came out after about a minute or two, but she was acting very slow.
    And was eating her food slow. She didn't get much of a drink either.

This chicken is a young bird. About a year, year and a half. Where I live it has been getting extremely cold. But she is a winter hardy breed too. [​IMG] Also, she has a little frost bite on her comb, I don't know if that means anything. Mom said she didn't come outside right away yesterday, either.

Should I take her inside? What might be wrong with her? [​IMG]

Thanks

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    You need to bring her in and check her out. Make sure she doesn't have any bugs on her or that there isn't a problem with her back side...check her vent to see if there is something not right there. Have you seen her poo? Check to see if it looks normal.
    sharon

3. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I would recommend bringing her in for observation, at least... In my experience chickens "acting slow" is not a good sign. I would check her over real well- including the bottom of her feet for bumble foot. If she is inside you can make sure she is eating and drinking and check out her poop... Good luck! Keep us posted...

4. Sandbellie

Dec 21, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Not to get off topic, but...What is Bumble Foot?

5. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    It will look like a black scab on the bottom of the foot. You can do a search and find out all about it- it can be cured. It is an infection of some sort... I always like to mention it, since it doesn't seem like the feet are the problem- but they often are.

6. Sandbellie

Dec 21, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I went outside and checked her out. Everything looks okay, her vent is clean, and there are no signs of anything under her feathers.

I gave them all grapes as a treat, and she gobbled them up. Still a little slow tho. [​IMG]

7. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I would really keep an eye on her. See if you can see how her poo is. ALso listen to her breathing and make sure that is quiet. I too think if she is acting off then that could be a warning.
    sharon

8. Sandbellie

Dec 21, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Its been a few days now, and she seems to be fine. But I will still keep an eye on her.

Thanks for your help everyone.

~CC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by