1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken acting strange

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 19marvinn, Feb 6, 2016.

1. 19marvinn

19marvinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2015
    Today one of my cream legbars has been acting out of sorts. She hasn't laid an egg yet today. She is usually very good with egg production. She has not left the house all morning. She is bedding down beneath one of the nest boxes and hasn't really moved all morning. She will stretch her neck to get a sip of water and then go back to her spot. There is no egg under her. She keeps making this moaning purring noise, not really a cluck. Like she's in distress. She even let me pet her, she usually has a fit. And to top things off, she keeps taking wood chips in her beak and putting them on her back! I think she might be looney. Any Help is appreciated! Thanks!

2. BoomChickaPop

BoomChickaPop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    I don't want to alarm you but what you just said sounds like a 100% BROODY HEN
    Which means she wants to sit on eggs
    To make sure she is broody put some fake eggs under her, then in the morning look at her and if she is really puffy and purring she is definetely broody.
    Also if she poops and it is the biggest poop you have ever seen than she is broody

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  3. 19marvinn

Jul 1, 2015
    Will she stop if there is no eggs to sit on?

4. BoomChickaPop

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    Yes but you actually have to put her in a separate cage to stop her broodiness
    As long as there is a nest box she will stay broody

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'd suggest you search for "breaking broodiness" - lots of info on the threads there that i hope you will find useful.

All the best
    CT

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Her letting you pet her when usually she won't indicates to me more a chance of illness rather than broodiness...broody's are usually more aggressive than normal.

Putting bedding on her back is a typical laying behavior.

So did she lay?
    Is she still behaving the same way?

7. 19marvinn

Jul 1, 2015
    She did lay but has isolated herself completely from the others. She goes out when the others go in visa versa.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    She may be thinking about going broody...or she may not feel well.
    Just keep an eye on her and hope for the best.

9. BoomChickaPop

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    How is she today?

10. 19marvinn

Jul 1, 2015
    She is much better today. She is walking around with the others and hasn't been in the nest box except to lay. Thank Ya'll for your concern.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by