Chicken acting strange....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Fowl lover, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Fowl lover

Fowl lover New Egg

Apr 27, 2017
    Hello guys.....i have bought a wheaten maran hen about 2 weeks ago.The looks to be about 1.5 to 2 years of age as the seller told me.What the hen does is sit on the nest for about an hour everyday and then when i check there is no egg in the nest and one more thing when i bought her 2 weeks ago she silently goes to the nesting area without making any noise but this week she started making the sound which the hen usually makes before laying egg.Today she made such noise and then went to the nesting area and then about an hour she make the rooster noise i thought she laid the egg finally but as usual nothing in the nest......Kindly help me with this this behavior is strange...[​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Some hens fake laying eggs. Only they know why, but I've seen it plenty of times to not be concerned about it.

3. Fowl lover

Fowl lover New Egg

Apr 27, 2017
    will she start laying again??

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Moving to a new place can be stressful on a bird, she may lay again once she's used to her now home.

More info about your flock(numbers, ages, genders),
    your coop and run(sizes in feet by feet),
    and your climate/location might help offer clues.
    Pics are always good.

Wonders about the "the rooster noise"...are you sure 'she' is not a male?

5. Fowl lover

Fowl lover New Egg

Apr 27, 2017
    Thanks for your reply...I have a total of 2 new hampshire red hens,1 black sex link hen,one wheaten maran hen and a light sussex cross rooster.I a coop of about 5 feet wide and 10 feet longer ....the free range all the time so i haven't made them any run.I am **** sure about the hen ,by the roosters noise i meant the sound which both hen and rooster make occasionally.Well rooster do make it often like kut kut kuutak one...[​IMG]

6. Fowl lover

Fowl lover New Egg

Apr 27, 2017
    I don't get it....the hen is still on the nest with no eggs and comes out as usual how long it will take for her to lay egg.[​IMG]

7. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

They do that sometimes.....as OHLD pointed out.....it's not uncommon.
    When a bird is moved into a new flock it is stressful....it can take anywhere from a few days to a few months for her to lay again.
    You'll have to be patient...or not.

8. Fowl lover

Fowl lover New Egg

Apr 27, 2017
    One thing I forgot to mention is that the hen has been doing watery diarrhea from the day we brought her home.She is eating and drinking fine but is lethargic most of the day.One other hen i brought started laying after a week of being brought but i think this hen has some other stuff going on,the temperature is also pretty hot here almost 40 degrees.Could it be because of the temperature or because of the mites???

9. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    High temperatures can most definitely seriously affect them....heat stroke can happen to chickens too.
    They will drink much more water trying to shed the heat from their bodies,
    this results in loose poops and a slow down of egg production.

Last edited: May 9, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by