Chicken acting strange

Zerex

Chirping
Oct 15, 2020
Please help! I don't know what's wrong with her. She isn't that even excited for food and she loves food. She's keeping her neck stretched up and not moving much. She's about seven months, not yet laying. Her crop feels hard to me, like a golf ball. Following information online, I massaged her crop and then made her food wet, which she then ate. I also gave her grit. Her dropping seem normal. She started moving a bit more after I massaged her crop. I suspect an impacted crop. She was acting a bit strange this morning, not too interested in food, but the stretching of the neck I noticed when I got home. So, from about 12AM-4PM or so... I have a pretty small coop with three birds in total. Her name is Sunny.

I normally feed her chicken crumble(Dumor)...

Last edited:
We need more information. How old is the bird? What do droppings look like? Is her crop empty, full, hard, soft, squishy, etc? Do you know when she last laid? How long has she been like this? How many other birds do you have, how are they housed and what do you feed, including all treats? Pictures or video of what she's doing may be helpful, for video you need to upload to another host (like youtube) and put the link here so it can be seen.

We need more information. How old is the bird? What do droppings look like? Is her crop empty, full, hard, soft, squishy, etc? Do you know when she last laid? How long has she been like this? How many other birds do you have, how are they housed and what do you feed, including all treats? Pictures or video of what she's doing may be helpful, for video you need to upload to another host (like youtube) and put the link here so it can be seen.
Thank you, I've updated the information.

Only at the end did I see her do anything, could have been trying to adjust her crop. They will stretch out their neck and open the beak when they do that. If she's pooping normally then she's not blocked. Do they free range at all, could she have eaten something she should not have? I would give her some coconut oil, about a tablespoon, and massage the crop. You can freeze the coconut oil and break it in pieces to give her. Repeat that several times a day, and massage the crop each time to see if you can break up whatever is in there and get it to pass. Feel her crop first thing in the morning before she has anything to eat or drink and see what it feels like then. Should be empty then.

Only at the end did I see her do anything, could have been trying to adjust her crop. They will stretch out their neck and open the beak when they do that. If she's pooping normally then she's not blocked. Do they free range at all, could she have eaten something she should not have? I would give her some coconut oil, about a tablespoon, and massage the crop. You can freeze the coconut oil and break it in pieces to give her. Repeat that several times a day, and massage the crop each time to see if you can break up whatever is in there and get it to pass. Feel her crop first thing in the morning before she has anything to eat or drink and see what it feels like then. Should be empty then.
Thank you. :) This really scared me because I love all of my girls. I've never seen any of my girls just stretch their necks like that. I'm normally super vigilant about their health because chicken health can be hard to determine. They do not graze without me observing because I live in the forest and there are a lot of predators. Its possible she ate her bedding, bits of hay maybe.

Last edited:
Also, I've noticed her having slight balancing issues over the last few days. Another reason why I was starting to get worried about her. She otherwise seems fine but chickens can be hiding issues. She normally charges straight at the food when I feed her but today she was acting really, really different and abnormal. Still scared about it. Chickens die pretty fast when they get sick or have problems.

Last edited:
She was also standing like that, in that very pose, for about thirty minutes when I went to feed her. I know because I was worried about her and eventually started recording a video to send. She had her head tilted up higher until her head reached the very top of the coop's ceiling and just stood there. It was disconcerting. I've never seen a chicken do such a thing. I tried googling to no avail. All I can think of was that it had to be crop impact because it was very large and hard.

Please help! I thought she was fine because she was acting better lately and her neck is fine. However, now she cannot stand on one of her legs! It's turned a purple/red color! It's completely broken, it flips back and forth!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom