Chicken acting very strange

Amsignorelli

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2019
New Orleans
Any help would be much appreciated. We live outside of New Orleans and recently had to evacuate due to hurricane Ida. Unfortunately we could not take our flock with us, but had a good friend who came every morning and every afternoon To tend to our chickens. One of our chickens (a phoenix) (one and a half years old) was acting extremely strange a couple of days after the storm. She was acting injured so he took her out of the coop she appeared to have several bloody scabs on her face, ears, waddle but absolutely no missing feathers. My first thought was some of the other chickens might’ve pecked at her, after examining her and noticing they did not take any of her feathers away especially around the tail I don’t think that is what happened. We immediately brought her inside and I put her in a milk crate that only has three sides, similar to what we use as laying boxes in the coop. She sits in there day and night and does not even try to move out of the crate she will stand but has a hard time balancing. All of her scabs have seem to heal, but she does this weird thing where it looks like she is pulled her neck all the way in and throws her head back, the only way I can describe it is it appears that she may have brain damage. She seems to be improving somewhat, we had to force water originally but now she does drink water, and she eats as long as we put it directly in front of. She definitely gets very freaked out if our lab walks past her which has never happened in the past she usually free ranged in our lab walked around the yard with no problems. But she continues to throw her head back almost like she has Tourette’s. And she still cannot balance at all. Could this be some type of disease, or could it just be from an injury. I really don’t think that she was injured during the storm itself because my friend would’ve noticed if she wasn’t acting normal. Keep in mind she did weather 4 almost 5 hurricane. But all of the behaviors did not start until about five days after the storm. Any help on what I can possibly start doing to help her or direction to look or research what it could possibly be causing this please let me know. It is absolutely awful to watch although I don’t think that she is suffering. And she doesn’t seem to be in any pain. Thank you in advance I know this was a long post I appreciate any help

She also has a hard time balancing, and if she falls over she doesn’t even try and roll back upright. She has a hearty appetite and has continued to eat with no issues just can’t stand all the way up. Someone suggested that it might be Merck disease. Although I do know that she was vaccinated well according to the place that I bought her. She is a year and a half and never had any issues

Since they were left behind during a major storm, three issues that come to my mind are these:

1) she's in shock, or was in shock, and never really came out of it.
2) she was injured by flying or falling debris, and you haven't discovered the injury (possible head trauma).
3) possible animal attack during or after the storm, especially if their run/coop were compromised by the storm and she has internal injuries that are just now presenting themselves.

A vet visit wouldn't hurt if you're able. Otherwise, keep her in a quiet place where she can rest for now. Make sure she has food and water as you're doing, but you might try to get some vitamins and electrolytes into her. We use Sav-A-Chick brand that can be mixed into their water.

Some TLC with some moist feed mixed with yogurt and fried egg might stimulate her to eat more too and get her energy up a little. B-Complex vitamins won't hurt either. Poultry Nutri-Drench, found at most fees stores like the Sav-A-Chick products above, or Poly-Vi-Sol (for humans and WITHOUT iron) work well too. I think she's just "freaked out" and timid after her experience, and that is causing her to act strange...

Back
Top Bottom