Chicken acting weird

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bowman140, Mar 25, 2017.

1. bowman140

bowman140 New Egg

Mar 24, 2017
    Hey I have a 4 year old hen and a few days ago I started to notice she was acting weird. She is really slow moving she would be laying down all day but laying up against something like the wall or water dish. She will not purch with the other birds at night. She will not lay eggs. I separated her from the flock and she still acts the same but there are days that she will not eat or drink water and still no eggs. She has no signs of broken legs or wings and she is not getting beaten up by the other birds. I don't know what's going on. Thank you

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sounds like possibly an internal problem, stuff like kidney or liver failure. Though chickens can eat all kinds of things. I read about chickens dying from having string in their crop. Best you can do is take her to a vet, otherwise she may or may not improve on her own.

1 person likes this.
  3. barred2rock

barred2rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you checked her crop? Is it empty or full?

1 person likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC...sorry you're having troubles.

Good question about crop.
    What does her poop look like?
    Is her belly swollen, below her vent and between her legs?

More info about her breed, how long you've had her, the other birds you have, etc. might help.

1 person likes this.
  5. bowman140

bowman140 New Egg

Mar 24, 2017

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    From @bowman140 ovation of most post......(best to provide info in 'quote' reply then in thumbsup ovation field.)

"Poop is normal and her body is normal. She is a Rhode Island Red and so are the others"

Did she molt over winter/fall?
    (assuming you live in the northern hemisphere)
    Had she starting laying again this spring?
    Are your other birds laying?

It can be really hard to tell if a bird is ill, usually we won't notice until death is imminent.
    There's often nothing to be done, even if diagnosis is possible-which is often isn't.
    Tho 4 years old is not terribly old, some do not live very long lives.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by