Chicken acts Drunk when Walking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by IndianaHomestea, Mar 3, 2013.

1. IndianaHomestea

IndianaHomestea Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2012
    New Palestine, Indiana
    I have a young RIR... looks like he's a roo, who for the past 3 days or so has been hiding out of the way and staying sat down. He otherwise seems healthy... face and waddles seem healthy ... eats when I pick him up and bring him to the feeder, drinks looks around and seems fine. But when he tries to walk, it's like his legs are extremely weak he can KIND OF walk... but is lucky to go one foot before sitting back down. He has gotten around somehow becuase he's been in a few different spots (within 5 foot from one another) over the past few days, but most of the time he's just sitting there and when he does try to walk he has a very obvious problem... any ideas? Should I cull him?

2. Sarahj21

Sarahj21 Just Hatched

Mar 3, 2013
    East sussex uk
    I to have this kind of problem, Penny is 2-3 yrs old and a RIR. On thursday she was sat in the coop most of the day, we got her out and brought her in side just to keep an eye on her, she could stand, eat and drink but not walk, i put her back in the coop for the night (thinking she would be dead in the morning) Friday and saturday she didn't move, i put food and water next to her just to keep her going. This morning she was out and about she still can't walk very well and her feet are quite pink, She hasn't layed for 3 weeks ( her last egg was very big and had a ring around it, didn't eat it as it looked odd ) I'm hoping that she is on the mend from what ever it is, just would like some one to give me ideas on what it could be

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by