Chicken addiction

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PotterWatch, Jan 30, 2009.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Do they make a patch or something to deal with this addiction? A year ago, I was considering getting chickens, but I never really cared for birds in general. Now, however, I find that it is really enjoyable to watch the chickens roam around and chase after bugs. So of course, I need more of them! I ordered 15 chicks today. Five layers (three Delawares and two EEs), and 10 broilers. If I don't get a green egg from an EE this time, I might... have to get more!

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    At least its a legal addiction! [​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:They don't. Too bad, it could be a MAJOR market segment! [​IMG]

*my incubator arrived yesterday- and I already have a dozen chickens....*

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:Not everywhere . I am a illegal user.

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Nebraska
    PotterWatch:
    I agree.... it sure feels like an addiction. I moved to nebraska in December and thought I might get a few chickens. The hatchery I wanted to order from sold chicks in only 'huge' quantities (at the time I thought was huge)... 25 chicks. I thought what in the world would I do with 25 hens? Well, I found this site and spent hours reading about chickens (and after placing my order changed it 3 times!). I finally ordered 35 chicks the first week of January. Since then I've been reading this forum almost every day and learning bout different kinds of chickens. It's just too much for me... I gave in to my urges and ordered 31 more chickens today (for a total of 66 plus the freebie they throw in). I'm supposed to get my order the week of February 16th... 63 hens and 3 roosters...

I love eggs... but I'm likely to end up with 45 + eggs a day! I need to start collecting egg recipes now.... yea... thats it... I can handle this addiction.... it won't beat me... I'm in control.... ok... I'm off to read more about chickens.. [​IMG]

Bullwinkle

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My son has been letting 3 or 4 hens out each day to run around the back yard... (the others have to stay in the coop or run)

I have a BR and a RIR that dug a HUGE hole in my garden and scratched a ton of dirt up onto my pool deck. Bad chickens.

We've already decided we are going to rehome 5 BRs, 1 PR, 3 RIR and 2 EEs. That still leaves me with 12 hens with 41 eggs in the bator!! I'll probably have to sell or give away a few of the chicks.... leghorns a few speckeled sussex.... or I've got to start building some more pens!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by