Chicken addiction!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by babyrnlc, Feb 14, 2011.

1. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Hello, my name is Deena, I am addicted to chickens!

We started with 2 hens. Thought we would get 4 total. Went to get some chicks and ended up with 6 week pullets (2 of them) and then some less than a week old chicks (5 of them). Our plan was to keep 2 if the 5.

So in the city you can have 6 chickens. Here is the thing. We are renting my mom's house. They are living in a guest house on the property. SOOOOOO since their are two households here, could we have 6 each? Hmmmmmmmm Just thinking.........

My mom is no help, she is an enabler and just as addicted as me. We built our coop together and yesterday she came up and gave some ideas about enclosing the bottom part of the coop to give us more square foot for more chickens, and how we can make the run larger.. Sigh.

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    If you are looking for someone to help you not be addicted to chickens you have come to the wrong place. [​IMG] Everyone on here is addicted. We can help support your addiction. Welcome to the madness. [​IMG] I started out with 26 lost 13 have 14 now plus 6 chicks just hatched and 24 more in the bator now. LOL

3. arenea74

arenea74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    I was supposed to only have 2 or 3. I now have 6. I am so addicted that I even think about them while I'm at work!

-Alicia-

4. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:X2...

5. cochicks

cochicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    We were only going to have two. We now have five and have ordered 15 for spring. My husband is my enabler.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I started with 7 pullets. I now have 25 (and it took me awhile to count how many I have) and 3 dozen eggs on their way to me. [​IMG]

7. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    Hmmm I started with 8 and now have 86...plus a bunch in the incubator.. [​IMG]

8. MustLoveHens

MustLoveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Albion, Wisconsin
    Sorry to say that I can't help you with your addiction, however in the spirit of helping you to cope with your addiction, I will come clean. I, in my previous chicken ownership life (as opposed to the current chicken ownership life) had around 200 show,egg, and meat birds. This was well known amongst family, friends, and various people whom I've help with chicken issues or questions over the years. What is a complete secret until now, is that number was a lie. Well not really a lie, it was the number of SHOW birds I had at any given time. This did not include the pet "house" hens, my egg hens, babies, nor my meat birds. The show birds we kept at the barn where my horse lived. The 30 stall barn was not used for horses any longer so the barn owner was like sure do what ever. (Never say this to a chicken addict married to a chicken addict) So, that was were the show stock lived. At my house was were I had all the rest. That number was about 50 adults and another 25 babies and meat birds at any given time.

In my current chicken ownership life I have three little bantam hens. Just three. "Wow"! you are thinking, "there is hope after all"!! No...alas there is not. I have 25 Russian Orloff pullets ordered for April 1st delivery, 12 +2 Barred Rock hatching eggs on their way to me, as well as 6+2 Russian Orloff hatching eggs on pre-book.
    So, if all arrive live, all eggs arrive, hatch, and live and my little girls keep healthy I could have 50 chickens. That doesn't include the ones that my hubby drooled over on Ideal Hatcheries website and asked to be notified when the breed (Barnevelder) becomes available again. I didn't ask-- hubby just liked them so I'm just going with it.
    BTW, Im justifing the Barred Rock eggs as a necesity to test the new incubator with. If all goes to grand plan then I will find homes for the Barrdies once they are started....we'll see how that goes....I hope no illusions about my addiction......

9. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Can't help you here either unless you need contacts for shipping eggs. I have found some breeders for the breeds I like. [​IMG] Started with four pullets, added four more plus a rooster, lost one of the original pullets to my dogs, hatched out six chicks and had to cull one of those for a severely crossed beak. So right now if you count the number of chickens I have it is 13 but found out this weekend that the five chicks I have might all be roos so technically they don't count because I don't need five more. Now, I do have about 24 more hatching eggs that went out in the mail today sooooooo I will have more and I am really hoping that those are not all boys too. [​IMG]

10. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    I am a new chickenaholic also. We are only allowed 6, but we have 7 and I'm doing my darndest to stick to that number. I think both households should be considered separate! As long as your neighbors don't care. A few eggs as bribes couldn't hurt. WELCOME [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by