Chicken Addiction

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Flyin egg shell, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Flyin egg shell

Flyin egg shell New Egg

Nov 9, 2014
    Hello All,

MMMMMM poet and didn't know it.[​IMG].

Chickens! All over the house. Am I new to chickens? Well, maybe. Grew up in ND running
    around my Grandma's farm. This means I chased chickens, ducks, geese, rode the pigs,
    cows dumped me, didn't understand all I wanted was ride. And so the stories go.
    When I was about 6 I promised me that I was going to get a tractor and chickens. I did. The first
    chickens arrived March of this year. Housed in 17 gal tubs near my TV in the family room. Well, my tv was one tub after another. First the banties were in my lap. Then the pullets. Then the ducks.
    Right then and there we were about 3 degrees off plumb. Next? Chicken houses. Don't like the word
    coop. Then free range..Inevitably, chicken house cleaning and all that goes with it. Now at the age
    of 8 months all follow me around the acre. Sit in the car when I take out groceries, all the while the others have their noses in what ever I'm doing. Sit on the yard bench with me and dog, chase the cats and generally get into every thing. Therefore, yes, I'm addicted!! How do I know this? I now have 8 hens and roosters in my tv room. Left the door, on the cage,open, fell asleep and when I woke up I had a lap full of 7 week old chicks? Chickens ? sleeping on my lap.Thank goodness the rest were
    outside. A total of 22 birds.

Breeds? Great question. Golden Comets, 3 Misskateers , Silver Wyandotte. Banties:
    Silver Laced Sebright, Maran, Fleur Mille d'Uccle and linked. All beauties.

As for other hobbies? Who has time? Still read a lot. All about chickens. Bottom line.
    I am addicted and have never been in such good health. So at 77 all I can say is: Chickens
    will do for you something no one else or thing could ever do. Peace and happiness. More friends
    and people all over the yard.

Need to add one more thing. I wanted my dentist to meet Miss. Cluck. So, I put a dog harness on
    her and took her to the back room of his office. A chicken friend worked there. I told her to say Cluck had a tooth ache and needed immediate attention as she had been running around the yard
    clucking and shaking her head. When he finished with his patient he took a look at her and
    stated, " I don't now if I can help." Little did we know he knew nothing about chickens. We milked
    this for all it was worth. Finally, about a half hour latter it dawned on him chickens don't have teeth.
    Needless to say!!!! Miss Cluck rode on my shoulder in the car. People in other cars really too
    a double take.

Am looking forward to belonging with a great group of chicken lovers.

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] That poor dentist. [​IMG]

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    LOL! I would have loved to see the look on your dentist's face. :eek:) Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. We are all addicted to chickens here. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

Good luck with your chickens!

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

How funny!! LOL Sounds your birds are very friendly!! I have a bunch of lap sitters. Chickens can really crave attention if raised properly. My girls follow me around like drooling puppies just looking for the lovin'.

Make yourself at home here. Enjoy your babies! Chickens are so highly addicting. And by joining BYC I am sure you will become even more enabled and want even MORE chickens!

Welcome to the flock!

7. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] So glad you joined us.

Taking your chicken to the dentist ---so funny. Dentist's reaction ----Priceless.[​IMG]

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Love the dentist story!

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help

LOL![​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Next dentist - tell him your hen needs dentures. [​IMG]Welcome to Backyard chickens - people with good sense of humor go to the head of the line. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by