Chicken Adventure

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickenchichi, May 16, 2016.

1. chickenchichi

chickenchichi Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2016
    McDonough, GA
    Hi everyone, I'm a new member and still a chicken amateur, but I am in love with them! I got my first chick from a feed store when I was 12, I got a golden laced wyandotte and my brother got a silver laced. We raised them from 4 days old in our suburban backyard and treated them just like any other pet. We raised them to about 4 months, then had to find a new home for them when we moved.

I'm 21 now and bought 3 Maran chicks on a whim for my birthday. The next day I bought a golden sex link at my local feed store and added her to the flock. I raised them in my apartment for about two months in a homemade brooder (forever diligent about the smell) and treated them like my feathered children. They were the perfect pets for a student's meager budget![​IMG]
    This is them! The two black and coppers are Satomi and Mildred Lucille (named after my great-grandmother), then the blue is Lois Virginia (another great grandmother). My little sister named the goldie "Carrots", but for some reason I always called her "Pickles".

When I brought them home to my parent's house to start free-ranging, naturally my mom fell in love and now we have 8 more chicks, all two weeks old.
    [​IMG]
    2 speckled sussies, 2 Ameracauna Easter eggers, 2 golden laced Wyandottes then a Rhode Island Red and the erratic Polish.
    [​IMG]
    Artist the Easter Egger and Henrietta we got Saturday at trade day in Collinsville, AL. They are attached at the hip, but Henrietta is prone to pecking everyone else.

[​IMG]
    These gals we got today from a local farm, and so far we have Gertrude and Melanie the GLW, Betsy the chunky EE, and Leigh the SS. We still have to name the Sussie and the Red!

2. chickenchichi

chickenchichi Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2016
    McDonough, GA
    Update: the chunky EE is no longer Betsy, but Wynona

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - nice to have you join us.

CT

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by