1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken afraid of other chickens?????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Twister303, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Twister303

Twister303 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    I have a Welsummer pullet that I got in a batch of 8 and raised from day olds. Recently the one pullet has been looking thin and dull. I brought her inside for a few weeks to gain some weight. She eats, drinks, and seems fine inside. I took her back outside since we had a warm spell. I put her back in the coup at night when the others were already asleep. I have used the "wake up together" method with great success in the past. But this little pullet simply cowers in the corner and tries to dig a hole.

Can a chicken be afraid of other chickens? She doesn't eat or drink outside, and she just cowers and hides.

2. Mei&Popcorn

Mei&Popcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Are the other chickens bullying her? They may be keeping her away from food, etc...

3. Twister303

Twister303 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    I don't even see them make any notice of her at all. But as soon as she sees them she runs and hides. She does OK with one other chicken on lay up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by