Chicken Age - couple questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by navasima, Sep 18, 2011.

1. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    I know that maturation will vary breed to breed and chicken to chicken, but can anyone give me ballpark guesses as to what attributes or behaviors I can look for to determine age?

Am I reading correctly that a pullet's comb will be red at around POL (age-wise)?

Thanks for any help!

Oh - I'm using vocal cues as well - bawks instead of peeps should be 3-4 mo.?

I have 5 girls that I'm trying to get some kind of handle on - 3 are Heinz 57's; not just 2 breeds crossed; 2 are Japanese of undetermined age, a guess was made at something over a year - no eggs from anybody, but the oldest 2 are getting over some stress too......Ya, I've given myself a bit of a project.....[​IMG]

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    We'd probably be able to tell you how old they are if you post a pic. [​IMG] (and yes at POL a hen will have large wattles and comb)

3. navasima

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    I've tried posting pics, but am told that they are too small. Thanks anyway.

4. navasima

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Halloo out there! No one has criteria that they go by when trying to estimate a chicken's age? Really?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by